...is spiced up with pink and green!

Everything in the middle of the letters L-I-F-E can be as vague as the glass that was just filled with cold water or can be as transparent the time you wipe the glass with your fingers. Either way, a lot of people give everything to understand it; but only a few does. I may have not experienced everything there is to experience nor have learned everything there is to learn, but I am certain that from where I stand... LIFE is beautiful!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Welcome to the other side of the world!

New York City--one place with a lot of names (98 of it to be exact). They call it "the Big Apple", "the Empire State", "the city that never sleeps", etc. As to why, oh well, it's complicated to explain it here. After all, nothing about New York City is simple. To some NYC is just a song sang by Frank Sinatra; others consider it as the best place to spend a costly vacation; for most, it is just but a dream of the other side of the world where everything can happen. But for me, New York City is the name of the place I should get used in calling "home".

Back to where I was from to where I am now, things are entirely different. And I have no idea how different it could get everyday. Everything here is easy but never simple. You get what you want in a snap--from food to fashion, from health to technology, from A to Z. The basics are always there, but people opt to live away with the conventional. And yeah, I asked, "How am I going to survive?"

I find myself in a jungle where competence has to reach the top of the standard. Absolutely no time for a wishy-washy dealings. Let alone the fact of how creatures here seem to always run after time. And their fast pace is contagious, I can barely keep up. As a matter of fact, I sometimes find myself gasping for air after I get out of the subway and asking myself, "why on earth am I in a hurry?" Oh well, I just can't take my time walking there as if I'm alone. I gotta hurry because a multitude is finding their way out with no more minute left.

However, the calories burned in walking fast along the streets of NYC is nothing less than necessary because of the hours convincing myself there is no way I'm going to overeat yet realizing after a couple of minutes that I ate it all. I consider this place as the world's dining room and all the other countries are the kitchen. There is no food that is not served. For the record, it took me to go out of Asia before I appreciate Japanese cuisine. It is just here that I realized that Japanese cuisine is the second best in the world (Italian's first of course). Come on self, forget about California rolls, sushi, and chicken teriyaki if you want to finish this. *drooling*

Okay, I have to change the topic quickly. Let us talk about Manhattan. Oooooh, the most coveted place in the world when it comes to fashion, music, and theater. My eyes surely glowed brighter than the lights of Times Square with the various Broadway shows. Every dollar is never wasted watching those shows. But even if you don't go inside the Radio City Music Hall or Carnegie Hall, you will still breathe music along the sidewalks of Manhattan. Let alone this fact: what is the Naked Cowboy there for if not for this? Really, it's not a joke standing there on your undies playing a guitar with a cowboy's hat if you earn $1,000 per day. The last time we got there, he was not around but the Cowgirl is. I don't know how they are related, but she sure rocks those USA flag swimsuit and pink guitar. NYC truly got it all.

Oh, by the way, have I mentioned fashion? If there is one thing that would make me fall in love with NYC, it's this. Walking along the 5th Avenue, otherwise known as the Fashion District, is the best and worst walk you will ever have in your entire life. Best if you have money and...do I have to tell you what's worst? This is the fashionista's haven. The heart of fashion lays along NYC. Every designer's finest craft is displayed across the glass shouting "buy me!" The least you can do is to pretend not to hear it. I am getting good at that. *sigh*

People do come and go here in New York. That is because New York will always be New York. It may be tough; but I will be tougher than the name itself. Because for a girl like me who once enjoyed a simple life, there is no way to get through this but to conquer the odds.

I <3 NY!

0 comments: